Alumna named to prestigious NAE membership
Considered a career-defining achievement, an alumna from The Ohio State University earned membership to the distinguished National Academy of Engineering (NAE).
The NAE reported that recipient Dr. Yilu Liu was elected based on her “innovations in electric power grid monitoring, situational awareness and dynamic modeling.”
Liu earned her MS and PhD in electrical engineering from Ohio State. Today, she is at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville where she is Governor’s Chair Professor in Electric Power/Energy Systems Engineering.
Election to the NAE is considered among the highest professional distinctions accorded to an engineer. Academy membership honors those who have made “outstanding contributions to engineering research, practice, or education, including, where appropriate, significant contributions to the engineering literature" and to "the pioneering of new and developing fields of technology, making major advancements in traditional fields of engineering, or developing/implementing innovative approaches to engineering education."
Ohio State electrical engineering professor emeritus, Stephen Sebo, said he remembers Liu well from his time spent as her mentor.
“She was an excellent student, and had a stellar career later,” he said. “I consider Yilu Liu as one of the two best students I advised at Ohio State.”
In total, NEA elected 80 new members and 22 foreign members for its 2016 roster. This brings the total U.S. membership to 2,275 and the number of foreign members to 232.
Individuals in the newly elected class are formally inducted during a ceremony at the NAE’s Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C. on October 9, 2016.
Ohio State has numerous alumni and emeritus faculty who share the high distinction of NAE professional engineering membership status.
Those members include:
- Dr. Eric D. Evans, electrical engineering
- Dr. Robert S. Chau, electrical engineering
- Dr. Burn-Jeng Lin, electrical engineering
- Dr. Yilu Liu, electrical engineering
- Dr. Jose Cruz, Jr., electrical engineering
- Dr. Marvin White, electrical engineering
- Dr. Robert Fenton, electrical engineering
- Dr. William S. Marras, industrial systems
- Dr. Meyer J. Benzakein, aerospace engineering
- Stuart L. Cooper, bioengineering
- Dr. Liang-Shih Fan, chemical engineering
- Dr. W.S. Winston Ho, chemical engineering
- Joseph P. Heremans, mechanical engineering
- Dr. Robert Schafrik, materials engineering
- Dr. Robert A. Rapp, materials engineering
- Dr. Paul G. Shewmon, materials engineering
- Dr. Robert H. Wagoner, materials engineering
- Dr. James C. Williams, materials engineering
- Dr. John P. Hirth, materials engineering