You are here
- Home >
- Transfer Credit
If you have taken courses at the graduate level at another university, some credit may be transferable to your MS or PhD program at OSU. OSU Graduate School rules allow ECE to consider transfer of graduate credit only if your transcript explicitly shows the graduate level courses you wish to transfer were taken after the date you received the BS degree. Transfer of graduate level course credits which were taken before receiving the BS degree, even if these course credits are in excess of those required for your BS degree, is not permitted.
- Up to 6 semester credits may be transferred to either the MS thesis option or the MS nonthesis option, subject to approval of the ECE Graduate Studies Committee.
- Up to 19 semester credits beyond the 30 semester credits required for the MS degree may be transferred to the MS to PhD program (9 credits of course work and 10 dissertation credits), subject to approval of the ECE Graduate Studies committee.
- Up to 48 semester credits may be transferred from another institution into the direct BS to PhD program (24 credits of coursework and 24 dissertation credits), subject to approval of the ECE Graduate Studies committee. Residency requirements may limit the number of credits which may be counted toward a graduate degree.
To request transfer of graduate credit:
- Complete section one of the Request for Transfer of Graduate Credit.
- Attach an original university transcript indicating which courses or degree are to be transferred. To transfer courses, the transcript must clearly indicate that the courses were taken for graduate credit beyond the requirements of your BS (or MS) degree. To transfer a degree, the transcript must clearly indicate degree awarded.
- For course transfer requests, attach course descriptions from your university catalog, course syllabi, or any other documentation which would help the ECE Graduate Studies committee evaluate the transfer request.
- If additional explanation is required, attach a cover letter including any other pertinent information, such as the texts used in the courses, the number of hours of lecture each course involved, OSU course equivalent, etc.
- Submit the transfer request, signed by your ECE faculty advisor, to the graduate program coordinator. After the ECE Graduate Studies committee reviews the request, approved transfer credit requests are forwarded to the Graduate School.
For students admitted to the OSU PhD program after completing the OSU MS: If a student is admitted to the OSU PhD program who completes the MS at OSU, graduate course credits beyond the 30 credits required for the MS can be transferred to the PhD program. To transfer these credits, students submit the form Status Beyond Master's Degree: Transfer of Excess Master’s Hours to the Doctoral Degree to the graduate program coordinator for ECE Graduate Studies committee approval. This form should be submitted as soon as the PhD Qualifying Examination is passed, and before the Application to Graduate - Doctoral Program form is sent to the Graduate School.