- Undergraduate Students
- Graduate Students
- Graduate Admission Overview
- Application Process
- Transfer Credits
- BS/MS Program
- Degrees & Requirements
- Financial Aid
- Faculty Advisors
- Graduate Housing
- Graduate Program Contacts
- Handbook, Forms & Deadlines
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Quarter to Semester Transition
- Transfer Credit
- Master's Non-Thesis Exam
- Master's Thesis
- ECE At-A-Glance
- Resources & Links
- Contact Us
- Visit Us!
- About Ohio State
- About Engineering at Ohio State
- About Columbus
- Career Prospects
- Student Life
- Meet the Students (videos)
- Meet the Faculty (videos)
- Courses & Scheduling
- Honors Program
- Successful Alumni
Graduate Admission Overview
The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering graduate program considers several factors in admissions decisions including:
Abachelor of science degree in electrical or computer engineering or related fields is required for admission.
For the master’s program, an undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.2 on a 4.0 scale is required.
The average GPA for admitted students is 3.55 on a 4.0 scale.
The GPA from all completed undergraduate and graduate work are used for the admission review.
There are two tracks to pursue the PhD: BS to PhD, or MS to PhD. Please refer to the ECE Graduate Handbook for details.
The quality of the school(s) where the applicant has studied, grades in technical courses (vs. nontechnical courses) and the applicant’s recommendation letters are considered.
GRE scores: Please see below for the MS Program. ALL STUDENTS who seek University Fellowships must have an official report of GRE scores sent to the OSU graduate admissions office.
Note that the GRE Writing scores are required for fellowship consideration, so older exams that did not have a writing component cannot be used. Also, if GRE and/or TOEFL scores are required, they must be received directly from ETS (Educational Testing Services) prior to the Graduate Studies Committee review. Self reported GRE and TOEFL scores are not accepted.
The TOEFL score in English comprehension is required for students who graduate from schools outside the U.S. Internet based test (IBT) preferred score is 92, computer based test (CBT) preferred score is 237 and paper based test (PBT) preferred score is 580
The GRE is required for the MS admission application.
Exception to the GRE requirement
OSU undergrads who meet the following criteria:
- 100% of credits completed at OSU with a
- Cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher
- 60 or more OSU credits completed with an
- OSU cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher and
- Cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher
- 30 to 59 credits completed at OSU with an
- OSU cumulative GPA of 3.6 or higher and
- Cumulative GPA of 3.4 or higher
2016 MS Admission Statistics:
- 1249 total applications received for autumn 2016
- Approximately 10% admission rate
- Those offered admission in 2016 include:
GRE Quantitative Score
Other factors that influence an admission outcome:
- Undergraduate program and institution
- Applicant’s additional experience
- English proficiency scores if applicable
- Letters of recommendations
- The competitiveness of the pool of applicants for the year
ECE strives for diversity including underrepresented US applicants, and a balanced international population.