If you have taken courses at the graduate level at another university, some credit may be transferable to your MS or PhD program at OSU. OSU Graduate School rules allow ECE to consider transfer of graduate credit only if your transcript explicitly shows the graduate level courses you wish to transfer were taken after the date you received the BS degree. Transfer of graduate level course credits which were taken before receiving the BS degree, even if these course credits are in excess of those required for your BS degree, is not permitted.
- Up to 6 semester credits may be transferred to either the MS thesis option or the MS nonthesis option, subject to approval of the ECE Graduate Studies Committee.
- Up to 19 semester credits beyond the 30 semester credits required for the MS degree may be transferred to the MS to PhD program (9 credits of course work and 10 dissertation credits), subject to approval of the ECE Graduate Studies committee.
- Up to 48 semester credits may be transferred from another institution into the direct BS to PhD program (24 credits of coursework and 24 dissertation credits), subject to approval of the ECE Graduate Studies committee. Residency requirements may limit the number of credits which may be counted toward a graduate degree.
To submit a Transfer of Graduate Credit request online:
- Submit the Transfer of Graduate Credit request online @gradforms.osu.edu.
- Enter the name of the ECE faculty advisor.
- To transfer a master’s degree from another university, include the name of the university and indicate “All", "Courses”. Enter the number of credit hours as "30", then select "Add".
- To transfer specific graduate courses from another university, include the name of the university and enter the course number and name of the course(s) you wish to transfer. Enter the number of credit hours, then select "Add".
- A Transfer of Graduate Credit Request to transfer a master's degree requires one online request. To submit a request to transfer specific graduate courses requires a separate Transfer of Graduate Credit Request.
- The faculty advisor, the ECE Graduate studies chair and the Graduate School will review and approve requests online.
- For additional information about the Transfer of Graduate Credit process, please visit the Gradforms Help page on the Graduate School website.
For students admitted to the OSU PhD program after completing the OSU MS: If a student is admitted to the OSU ECE PhD program who has completed the ECE MS at OSU, graduate course credits beyond the 30 credits required for the ECE MS are automatically transferred to the ECE PhD program.