- Undergraduate Students
- Application to the ECE Major
- Academic Advising
- ECE Peer Mentors
- Academic Domains and Electives
- Curriculum Requirements
- Graduation Information
- Handbooks & Forms
- First-Year Program
- Sophomore Experience
- BS/MS Program
- Minors & Career Options
- Honors Program
- Support Services
- Undergraduate Research
- Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Quarter to Semester Transition
- Graduate Program
- Courses & Scheduling
- Student Life
- Resources & Links
- ECE Jobline
- Upcoming events
Be Prepared for Graduation and the Start of Your Career
During your senior year, you are setting up the transition to the start of your professional life. Your academic record should reflect the skill and performance level you have achieved. A reasonable course load will allow you time to sit for professional exams, work, attend career fairs, go to interviews, plan visits, create distinction projects, seek references, apply to graduate school, and fully contribute in your capstone design courses as you continue to build your GPA. Please take your time and read the following information carefully.
STEP 1 - PREPARE TO APPLY FOR GRADUATION
You will be required to submit a course projection for your final two semesters when you apply for graduation. As you contemplate course selections, we recommend you follow these instructions to help you plan appropriately.
Run a Degree Audit
- We recommend you first run a Degree Audit to determine your remaining requirements. Instructions on how to run a Degree Audit can be found here.
Review ECE course offerings
- This document will help provide information on when you can anticipate future ECE courses to be offered. While the Department tries to offer courses on their regular schedule, please note that listed semesters of offering are subject to change.
Enroll in courses for your second to last term
- Example: if you plan to graduate in Spring 2019, you should register for Autumn 2018 courses before you apply for graduation.
- The ECE Advising Team encourages you to choose alternative courses prior to registration in case one or more of your planned courses conflict in time, become full, or is no longer offered. This proactive approach will help alleviate stress during registration.
Other Helpful Course Planning Items
- Course Catalog
- ECE Course Standard Syllabi
- ECE Curricula Information
- Bingo Sheets for both Programs of Study
- Approved Directed Elective Lists for both Programs of Study
- General Education (GE) for students who started at OSU in semesters (summer 2012 or later)
- General Education Curriculum (GEC) for students who started at OSU in quarters (before summer 2012)
- BS/MS Program – minimum 3.50 CPHR
- Senior Petition – minimum 3.30 CPHR
- Undergraduate Research
- Honors and Distinction
- Global Option in Engineering
STEP 2 - SUBMIT A GRADUATION APPLICATION
Graduation applications MUST be submitted online 12 months before the semester you plan to graduate, after you have completed registration for your second to last term. You do not need an advising appointment to complete the online application.
|Graduation term:||Application deadline:|
|Spring 2016||June 1, 2015|
|Summer 2016||August 31, 2015|
|Autumn 2016||December 31, 2015|
|Spring 2017||June 1, 2016|
|Summer 2017||August 31, 2016|
|Autumn 2017||December 31, 2016|
- You will be required to submit a course projection for your final two semesters in the online application so please complete Step 1 before proceeding to the online application.
- If you are graduating in an autumn term and plan to take summer courses, please include the summer courses in your "last semester plan" along with your autumn courses.
- Please note that if you later decide to graduate in a different semester than indicated, you will need to re-submit a new application to graduate. As soon as you make this decision, immediately inform Alissa Kasmer (email@example.com) or Krista Trigg (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If you have already submitted a paper application for Autumn 2015 or Spring 2016 graduation, you do not need to complete an online application as well.
STEP 3 - SCHEDULE YOUR MANDATORY ADVISING APPOINTMENT
Once you submit a graduation application, Alissa or Krista will verify that all courses you intend to schedule for your final two semester do meet all requirements to graduate. If approved, you will be sent an email asking you to schedule your mandatory 30 minute advising appointment.
- Before the appointment, please check your Degree Audit for accuracy and notify your advisor regarding any concerns or questions.
- After the appointment, you will be awarded a graduating senior priority scheduling appointment for your final semester.
STEP 4 - MONITOR YOUR DEGREE AUDIT
It is YOUR responsibility to monitor your Degree Audit and check for accuracy. If your Degree Audit is not running green after you have enrolled in your last semester courses, you need to either adjust your schedule accordingly or contact an Academic Advisor.
- Instructions on how to run a Degree Audit can be found here.
Once a graduation application is approved, you must follow the plan indicated on your application. If you plan to deviate from your original plan, you must schedule an appointment with an Academic Advisor regarding the changes you plan to make to ensure that you are still fulfilling all graduation requirements. If you change courses but do not let an Academic Advisor know, there is no guarantee you will graduate.
STEP 5 - CHECK YOUR OSU EMAIL ACCOUNT REGULARLY
The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and the College of the Engineering will send important information directly to your OSU email account throughout the semester you plan to graduate. Make sure you have activated your OSU email account and check it often. Please be sure that Jamie Paulson (email@example.com), Graduation Coordinator for the College of Engineering, is considered a “safe” sender, and that your account is not full and is accepting emails. If you forward your OSU email to a private account, you may not receive important emails regarding your graduation. To remove the forwarding, go to the OSU Email Account Management page at my.osu.edu, select the “Change Delivery” link, and follow the instructions. This is YOUR responsibility.
STEP 6 - OTHER ITEMS TO REVIEW
We recommend you visit the following websites to review information regarding graduation as well as learn about additional post-graduation resources available to you.
- College of Engineering Advising
- Engineering Career Services
- Professional Engineer Exams
- Fundamentals of Engineering Fact Sheet
- Graduate School
It is important to be sure you indicate your degree correctly on your resume. Be sure to indicate your earned degree like this:
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering Program of Study
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Computer Engineering Program of Study