If you have taken graduate level courses at another university, some credit may be transferred to your ECE graduate program at Ohio State University.
Ohio State University Graduate School rules allow ECE to consider the transfer of graduate credit only if the transcript explicitly shows the graduate level courses are posted on your graduate record.
MS Program: Up to 6 semester credits may be transferred from another university to the MS degree, subject to approval of the ECE Graduate Studies committee.
MS to PhD Program: Students may transfer an ECE MS degree earned at another university to the MS to PhD program subject to the approval of the ECE faculty advisor and the ECE Graduate studies committee. In addition, up to 19 semester credits beyond the 30 semester credits required for the ECE MS degree may be transferred to the MS to PhD program (9 credits of course work and 10 dissertation credits), subject to the approval of the faculty advisor and the ECE Graduate Studies committee.
BS to PhD Program: Up to 48 semester credits may be transferred from another institution into the direct BS to PhD program (24 credits of coursework and 24 dissertation credits), subject to the approval of the faculty advisor and the ECE Graduate Studies committee.
To transfer non-ECE master's degree or non-ECE graduate courses to the ECE graduate program:
Student provides an email justification for transferring non-ECE degree and/or non-ECE courses to meet ECE graduate degree requirements including the following supporting documents to: Tricia Toothman, firstname.lastname@example.org (PhD students) or to Beth Bucher, email@example.com (MS students).
- Student provides the syllabus of non-ECE course(s) included in the transfer request.
- Student indicates the Ohio State ECE graduate course equivalent for transferred course requests. Student provides Ohio State ECE course equivalent syllabus and course description.
- If there is no Ohio State ECE course equivalent, and a comparable ECE course is offered at another equivalent university, student provides documentation (syllabus and course description) for review.
- Non-ECE degree and/or non-ECE course transfer requests will be evaluated by ECE faculty to determine if courses are comparable to Ohio State ECE courses, and can be used to meet the applicable (PhD or MS) ECE degree requirements.
- If the request is approved, the student submits the Transfer Credit request in gradforms.osu.edu to add the approved credits to their Ohio State ECE academic record.
Residency requirements may limit the number of credits which may be counted toward a graduate degree.
To submit a Transfer of Graduate Credit request in gradforms.osu.edu:
Transfer of Graduate Credit requests are submitted online at gradforms.osu.edu.
- Select "Enrollment Forms" to find the Transfer of Graduate Credit form.
- Enter the faculty advisor name.
- To check the status after submission, select History tab within the form.
To transfer individual graduate courses, the transcript must clearly indicate that the courses were taken for graduate credit. To transfer an MS degree, the transcript must clearly indicate an MS degree was awarded.
For students admitted to the Ohio State University ECE PhD program after completing the Ohio State University ECE MS:
For students admitted to the Ohio State ECE PhD program who completed the ECE MS at Ohio State, graduate course credits beyond the minimum 30 credits required for the Ohio State ECE MS are automatically transferred to the ECE PhD program.