ECE Graduate Application Process
News for Autumn 2023 Applicants
Register for a live Admission Event with the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions
GRE scores for autumn 2023 applicants are not required: ECE autumn 2023 master's and PhD graduate program applicants are not required to submit GRE scores. However, submitted GRE scores will be considered in the selection process and could make an application more competitive.
- Ohio State ECE master's program offering direct admission for Ohio State ECE undergraduates: Eligible applicants include Ohio State ECE undergraduates who have completed at least 50 credits at Ohio State and have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.2. The ECE graduate application requires two recommendations, with at least one being from an ECE faculty member. ECE undergraduates interested in a graduate degree are encouraged to apply even if the direct admission criteria are not met. [The Graduate School minimum cumulative GPA is 3.0].
- OSU undergrads who have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher and have completed 90 credits are eligible to apply to the Combined Degree Program to count 5000-level credits toward a BS and a MS, not to exceed 12 credits. Admission required prior to the semester of enrollment in the combined credits. See Combined Degree Program (BSMS) for more information.
The Ohio State University ECE MS and PhD programs are highly competitive. Meeting the eligibility requirements is a necessary but not sufficient condition for acceptance into the MS or PhD ECE program. Acceptance of an applicant depends on several factors including the program’s intake capacity, the candidate’s credentials relative to the applicant pool, and the degree of alignment of the past academic experience and future research objectives of the applicant with the research carried out by the ECE Department faculty.
Other funding consideration & general admission
(Limited fellowship availability for MS students)
General admission (applications complete)
1. Complete the application online.
- MS only applicants: On the application, enter in "Program/Plan": Electrical & Computer Engineering-MS. After completing the MS degree, you are eligible to apply for the PhD using an internal ECE application.
- PhD applicants: We have two paths to the PhD degree.
- MS to PhD (for applicants with an MS degree): On the application, enter in "Program/Plan": Electrical & Computer Engineering-PhD
- BS to PhD (for applicants with a BS degree): On the application, enter in "Program/Plan": Electrical & Computer Engineering-PhD
2. Upload the following required materials with the online application:
- Statement of Purpose: Upload a one to two page statement which can answer some of the following:
- What are your career goals after completion of your degree?
- In your opinion, what are the attributes needed to successfully complete this degree?
- Describe your most gratifying academic accomplishment so far, and the methods you have used to achieve it.
- Describe any obstacles or challenges that you have worked through during your college experience.
- What are your expectations for your graduate studies experience?
- Resume: Educational information should include academic institutions attended, the dates attended and grade point average (GPA).
- Transcripts: Scanned copies of official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions are preferred for initial application review. If admission is offered, the OSU Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions will require official complete transcripts and proof of degree(s) from issuing institutions.
Please see the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions, FAQ, Transcripts for instructions to upload transcripts.
ECE does not require a separate copy of transcripts.
For students who graduated from Ohio State, it is not necessary to send transcripts from Ohio State. However, you must send transcripts from any other institution you attended even if you have sent these transcripts to Ohio State in the past.
3. Pay the application fee. If you have problems applying or paying the application fee, please contact the Office of Graduate & Professional Admissions at email@example.com
4. Provide letters of recommendation from three sources. Academic sources are preferred.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to request that their references submit recommendation letters electronically. After the application has been successfully submitted, the recommenders will receive an email from the Graduate & Professional Admissions. This email will contain instructions to submit references electronically. Please allow 2 to 5 business days for the recommender instructions to arrive.
- The references will be sent an email requesting a recommendation. Applicants are encouraged to contact their references to be sure they received the Graduate & Professional Admissions instructions and have provided a recommendation.
- Hard copy recommendations are accepted if references cannot be submitted electronically. Hard-copy letters of recommendation must be on official letterhead, signed and mailed to the ECE department directly by the recommender in a sealed envelope. Recommendation letters on plain paper are not accepted. Each letter must be attached to an official Graduate School Reference Form, which is completed by the recommender. Letters without Graduate School Reference Forms are not accepted.
Hard-copy recommendations may be mailed to:
ECE Graduate Program
205 Dreese Laboratories
2015 Neil Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210
5. GRE & English Proficiency Requirements for 2023 Applicants
GRE: 2023 applicants to the ECE master's or PhD graduate program are not required to submit GRE scores.
English Proficiency: International students who do not have a degree from a U.S. institution are required to submit an English proficiency score. For more information, please expand the English proficiency section from the Office of Graduate Admissions page.
If English proficiency scores are required, they need to be official or received directly from Educational Testing Services (ETS) prior to ECE graduate admissions committee review. Self-reported English proficiency scores are not considered official. The Ohio State University Code is 1592.
The Ohio State University
Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions
P.O.. Box 182004
Columbus OH 43218-2004
Express Mail Address:
The Ohio State University
Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions
281 West Lane Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210-1132
6. Save yourself time! Please do not submit the following items:
- Research papers, theses, etc.
- Provisional certificates, conference certificates, etc.
- Bank statements. These will be requested at the time you are admitted, if necessary.
- Special binding or folders to keep your documents together.
- OSU Student Financial Aid Information: http://sfa.osu.edu/howitworks
- Check application status: http://appstatus.osu.edu. You must reference your application number and date of birth to use the online status check web page.
- If you have problems submitting application items, please see Contact us on the Graduate and Professional Admissions website.
- Graduate and Professional Admissions processes documents electronically at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please use the email@example.com email address to submit electronic documents or when requesting official transcripts and scores be sent to complete your application. You may refer to the Application Requirements tab in your Applicant Center to see what documents are still needed.
- Allow five business days for uploaded documents to be reflected in your Applicant Center. Please upload each document only once, unless it has changed or you are instructed by our office to resubmit. Multiple submissions may delay the processing of your application.