Combined Degree (BSMS) Ohio State U. undergrads accelerate your advanced degree!

You can finish your MS degree in an additional year or transfer credits to PhD degree


The College of Engineering offers a number of Combined Degree Programs for current Ohio State University undergraduate students with outstanding academic records to encourage the best students to pursue advanced degrees. This allows well-qualified undergraduates to start graduate study before completing their Bachelor of Science (BS) degree. Enrolling in a Combined Degree Program can shorten the total time to get both a BS degree and a Master of Science (MS) degree. By enrolling in a Combined Degree (BS/MS) program, you are eligible to count up to 12 semester credit-hours of courses taken as a BS student toward your MS degree. 


You must meet all requirements imposed by the Graduate School for Combined Degree Programs (BS/MS). Section VIII of the official Ohio State Graduate School Handbook contains up-to-date information about these requirements. You are eligible to apply if:

• You are a current Ohio State University undergraduate student (not necessarily in engineering)

• You have at least a 3.5 CPHR in all previous undergraduate work

• You will have completed at least 90 undergraduate semester credit hours toward the BS degree prior to starting graduate study.

Application, Admission, and Enrollment

Students need to gain admission into the Combined Degree Program (BS/MS) prior to enrollment in combined courses. Courses taken prior to admission cannot be used for combined credit.

The first step is to discuss combined course choices with an undergraduate advisor to ensure all requirements are being met for the BS program. Next, apply to the graduate program from which you want a MS degree. Follow the regular graduate admission process. Go to the ECE Application Process page to begin the ECE MS admission application. Indicate on the application your desire to enter the Combined Degree Program (BS/MS).

Once all items have been received for the graduate application including letters of recommendation, submit the online Combined Degree Program (BS/MS) form to the Graduate School online no later than 2 months before the first day of class in the admission semester. Students enter the combined courses on the form.

The form needs approval from the appropriate Undergraduate Advisor, MS Graduate Program Coordinator, and the College of Engineering, Undergraduate Student Services Office The Graduate School completes the Combined Degree Program (BS/MS) approval and the admission. The student needs to accept on Buckeye Link.

These steps need to be done prior to enrollment in the combined courses. Courses already taken cannot be approved for combined course credit.

Additional Information

Here are some additional points you should consider:

• You apply, and are admitted, to graduate study under the regular graduate admission criteria and processes. Make sure to check for admission deadlines with the department whose graduate program you are considering as soon as you think you might be interested in a Combined Degree Program (BS/MS). The ECE MS application submission deadline is Feb. 1 for students seeking admission to either autumn or spring semesters the following academic year.

• Once you are enrolled in a Combined Degree Program (BS/MS), you become a graduate student and are charged graduate tuition and fees. These are higher than undergraduate tuition and fees. Tuition tables are on the University REgistrar's site.

  • Students enrolled in a bachelor’s/master’s combined program may hold Graduate Associate appointments that do not involve teaching of other students provided all other eligibility criteria are met. Check with your graduate program for details.

• If you hold a Graduate Associate position, then you must meet all graduate-credit-hour and other requirements associated with that position. The Graduate School has minimum enrollment requirements for students on appointment. The department appointing you may have additional enrollment requirements.

• You will have two GPAs – one for undergraduate and one for graduate. You will be subject to academic standards at both levels.

• Always enroll for combined courses on your undergraduate record. The combined courses will be added to your graduate record after your BS graduation.

• While in the Combined Degree Program (BS/MS), students can take additional MS only courses that are not combined. In this case, enroll on your graduate record.