Request for Transfer of Graduate Credit
If you have taken courses at the graduate level at another university, some credit may be transferable to your MS or PhD program here. Transfer of graduate credit can be considered only if the transcript clearly shows the graduate level courses were taken after completing the BS degree.
MS program: Up to 6 graduate credits may be transferred from another institution into either the MS thesis option or the MS nonthesis option, subject to the approval of the graduate studies committee.
PhD after MS program: Up to 9 coursework credits and up to 10 dissertation credits (for a maximum of 19 credits) from another institution can be transferred to the PhD after MS program, subject to the approval of the Graduate Studies Committee.
BS to PhD program: Up to 24 coursework credits and up to 24 dissertation credits (for a maximum of 48 credits) from another institution can be transferred into the direct PhD program, subject to the approval of the Graduate Studies Committee.
Residency requirements may limit the number of hours which may be counted toward a graduate degree.
To transfer credit to Ohio State: Please visit the Transfer Credit page on the ECE website.
For students admitted to the OSU PhD program after completing the OSU MS: For students admitted to the ECE OSU PhD program who completed the ECE MS at OSU, graduate course credits beyond the 30 credits required for the OSU ECE MS are automatically transferred to the PhD program.
- the student is a senior
- the credit for the course is not used to meet baccalaureate degree requirements
- the student’s cumulative point-hour ratio is 3.3 or above in all undergraduate work
- the student secures permission by the end of the first day of classes from
- the instructor in charge of the course
- the secretary of the student’s college or school
- the Graduate School
- the course is offered for graduate credit
- the course is 5000 or above if it is in ECE, or 4000 or above if it is outside of ECE
- a grade of B or higher is achieved.