Common Ground Newsletter: May 2016
Contents: | Things to Do | Welcome | Activate Your User Name | Make It Official: Admission | Like Us on Facebook | VISA Reminder: International Students | Who Is Your Advisor? | Important Dates | Helpful Links |
Common Ground is the official newsletter for incoming graduates students to the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. We know you have a lot to do to as you prepare for graduate school, and Common Ground will walk you through the tasks to complete before you begin autumn semester at The Ohio State University. It will also keep you informed about news and upcoming events. We will continue to send you additional issues of Common Ground over the summer, so look for important and useful information in each issue.
We look forward to meeting you this autumn!
activate their Ohio State username. This username is also your Ohio State email address.First things first: All students planning to attend Ohio State University must
You received your OSU username when you applied. Activating your username is one of the most important things you need to do after you accept your admission. Your user name will be a combination of your last name followed by a dot and a number (e.g., name.#). Your username will be used across the university for a variety of purposes, including class registration, OSU forms and accessing various pages of the university website.
This username is also your Ohio State e-mail address. When followed by @osu.edu, this username is also your OSU email address. This is the email address the university and the ECE department will use to contact you for official university business. Please check your OSU email regularly at http://buckeyemail.osu.edu/ so you don’t miss important information this summer, or throughout your academic career at OSU.
If you have problems activating your Ohio State username and email address, contact email@example.com for assistance.
http://appstatus.osu.edu/. After logging in, you should see the option to accept your admission by clicking the link, "Accept/Decline" on the main page.If you are receiving this newsletter, you have been recommended for admission to the Electrical and Computer Engineering Graduate Program for Autumn 2016, but that’s only the beginning. Your next step is to officially accept your admission at
It is important that you accept your admission online because this will allow you to register for classes for autumn semester.
If you have trouble accepting your admission, please contact OSU Graduate Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Accept your admission at http://appstatus.osu.edu/.
Students who are not U.S. citizens are required to obtain a visa to study in the U.S. It is important to apply for a visa as soon as you can. Depending on your home country, this process may take anywhere from one to three months. As soon as you have your I-20 information from OSU, you can start the visa application process. If you have any questions regarding your I-20 or other related questions, please contact the Ohio State's Office of International Affairs.
For master's students:
- Your faculty advisor will be either Assistant Professor of Practice Lisa Fiorentini or Assistant Professor of Practice Wladimiro Villarroel, unless you are aleady working with another ECE faculty. In this case, that faculty member can advise you.
- The advisor will be assigned based on your area of research interest.
- You will receive an email notification about your advisor assignment in early August.
- If you need advisor information for your visa interview, please contact Assistant Professor Fiorentini or Assistant Professor Villarroel.
- If you are interested in working with some other faculty in ECE, we encourage you to talk about your options with your faculty advisor after you get to Ohio State.
For Ph.D. students:
- For PhD students, your faculty advisor is the faculty member who extended a financial aid offer to you.
- If you do not have a faculty advisor, you should plan to actively seek out a faculty advisor by the end of the second semester of enrollment in the ECE graduate program.
Graduate School Welcome and Resource Fair: Monday, August 22, 2016, from 8:45 am to noon at the Ohio Union
Office of International Affairs Check-In and Orientation: Sign up for dates between Aug. 3 and August 22, 2016.
First Day of Classes: Tuesday, August 23, 2016