Combined Degree (BSMS)

You can finish your MS degree in an additional year or transfer credits to PhD degree.

Current Ohio State University undergraduates can count undergraduates' credits toward a graduate degree before completing their Bachelor of Science (BS) degree. Enrolling in a Combined Degree Program can shorten the total time to get a Master of Science (MS) degree. By enrolling in a Combined Degree (BS/MS) program, OSU undergraduates are eligible to count up to 12 5000-level credits taken as a BS student toward their MS degree. 


You must meet all requirements imposed by the Graduate School for Combined Degree Programs (BS/MS). Section VIII of the official Ohio State Graduate School Handbook contains up-to-date information about these requirements. You are eligible to apply if:

• You are a current Ohio State University undergraduate student (not necessarily in engineering).

• You have at least a 3.5 CPHR in all previous undergraduate work.

• You will have completed at least 90 undergraduate semester credit hours toward the BS degree prior to starting graduate study. Transfer credits are included.

Application, Admission, and Enrollment

Students need to gain admission into the Combined Degree Program (BS/MS) prior to enrollment in combined courses. Courses taken prior to admission cannot be used for combined credit.

The first step is to discuss combined course choices with an undergraduate advisor to ensure all requirements are being met for the BS program. Next, contact the Graduate Program Coordinator to express your interest and ask any questions.

1. Apply to the graduate program from which you want a MS degree. Follow the regular graduate admission process.

Go to the ECE Application Process page to begin the ECE MS admission application. 

  • For autumn admission, the deadline to submit the MS application is Feb 1st.
  • For spring admission, the deadline to submit the MS application is Sept 1st.

2. Once all items have been posted to the graduate application including letters of recommendation, submit the online Combined Degree Program (BS/MS) form to the Graduate School. Students enter the combined courses on the form.

  • For autumn admission, the deadline to submit the Combined Degree Program form is the end of May.
  • For spring admission, the deadline to submit the Combined Degree Program form is mid-October.

The Combined Degree Program form approval/processing is the last step in the admission process. Once posted in Buckeye Link, a student needs to accept admission in Buckeye Link. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find Accept/Decline.

These steps need to be done prior to enrollment in the combined courses. Courses already taken cannot be approved for combined course credit.

Additional Information

Here are some additional points you should consider:

• You apply, and are admitted, to graduate study under the regular graduate admission criteria and processes. Make sure to check for admission deadlines with the department whose graduate program you are considering as soon as you think you might be interested in a Combined Degree Program (BS/MS). 

• Once you are enrolled in a Combined Degree Program (BS/MS), you become a graduate student and are charged graduate tuition and fees. These are higher than undergraduate tuition and fees. Tuition tables are on the University Registrar's site. If you have questions about finances, email

  • Students enrolled in a bachelor’s/master’s combined program may hold Graduate Associate appointments that do not involve teaching of other students provided all other eligibility criteria are met. Check with your graduate program for details.

• If you hold a Graduate Associate position, be mindful that the Graduate School has minimum enrollment requirements for students on appointment. The department appointing you may have additional enrollment requirements.

• You will have two GPAs – one for undergraduate and one for graduate. You will be subject to academic standards at both levels. A 3.0 cGPA is required of graduate students to be in good standing. 

• Always enroll for combined courses on your undergraduate record. The combined courses will be added to your graduate record after your BS graduation.

• While in the Combined Degree Program (BS/MS), students can take additional MS only courses that are not combined, time permitting. In this case, enroll on your graduate record.